Sunday, November 19, 2017

Fillers For Bowls

 I have to admit that I am in love with wooden container objects and I have more than a few around the house.... some are on display and not pictured here, but then there are my 'go to' bowls that I use year round.
 If you see one you like, get it, and never worry about what you have at home to fill it with, because you know as well as I do that we ALL have something around the house that fills a bowl quite nicely.
 I went to the Home Goods store opening here in our area, and came across an aisle that had many wooden objects.  I had had no plan of buying anything like this, but as always, I simply stumbled upon the right aisle and went OOOOOH... I think I need one of these.
 It had a rough carved look on the sides... almost appearing to be a loaf of bread, but trust me... this wood would be a bit tough on the chompers.
 It's done a great job of holding a few ears of Indian colored corn this fall and I'm not yet sure if it will stay out for the Christmas season with something new to fill it (perhaps some shiny ornaments) or if it will be tucked away and let some other decorative item take it's place for the winter months.
 To be honest, I have had this wooden bread bowl for a couple of years and can't recall where it came from.  Pier One perhaps, but I can't swear on that.
 It's wonderful at displaying chunky pieces of potpourri, and it stays on the sideboard table just inside our front door year round, with a different mix of potpourri for each season.
 Just some autumn leaves from your yard and some pine cones or a few branches of pine would do the trick here.
Easy peasy decorating.

 This mighty sized wood bowl was one that I saw in a junky second hand shop in Tempe, AZ, 12 or 13 years ago.
It had damage which someone did a poorly applied  repair to, but I loved it anyway and bought it for around $10 as I recall.
It sits front and center on the dining room table filled with apples, lemons, and pine cones and needs dusting badly.


This is a large pine bowl that I purchased 17 or 18 years ago and did a paint job on. 
It simply sits in a metal bowl stand and has never been used as a container.
I have a couple of others that I also painted when we lived in Arizona.
They added a southwestern look to the dining room above the china cabinet.
Actually, this one would be nice with something Christmasy in it since it has a nice golden glow to it.

Do you have wooden dough bowls around your home?
What do you put in them?


1 comment :

  1. Loved seeing your wooden bowls . . .
    Perfect for autumn color touches . . .
    Like your potpourri and colors . . . indian corn is perfect too.
    I used to have more wooden bowls, boxes and things . . .
    Wonder where they are tucked away . . .
    Happy Thanksgiving Days Diane, for you and yours . . ,

    ReplyDelete