Thursday, June 4, 2020

Trying To Look Forward

It's been a while, right?  
I mean, since I've posted anything here, right?



But even with all of the madness around us these past few month this year, the world has not stopped spinning.
I shake my head daily.
Try not to look at the gloomy news, but let's be honest, it's too hard not to look when they are all important issues.  It's overwhelming, and that's putting it mildly.
I try to look ahead to a positive future.

A future where my brown skinned grandchildren won't even have to consider the color or their skin when they step out of their door to go play a game of basketball at the local rec. center.  Take a bike ride to play at a friend's house, walk to school(should that ever be allowed again), have a picnic or go bird watching in a park without being harassed.  These simple pleasures are what I wish for them.

And how about a former President who can't even get his portrait hung on a White House wall without it being an issue for the current man who lives there??

Our eldest grandchild can't even experience a normal high school graduation this year or make a memory of her senior prom.  Will she even have a normal university experience?  Will that learning be online as well?

My husband and I are still staying away from other people, due to our age and some health issues, but we will get through all of this madness much better off than many others, but still.... it does not stop us from worrying about others.

To take my mind away from dwelling on all of the negative, my husband helped me hang drop cloth curtains in our screened porch.  He'll tell you that he got 'Huckleberry'd into it'.  AND he's right.  He did.  I am guilty of making him do much of the work, but he is totally enjoying that the porch is a bit cooler temperature-wise this year and sits out there much more than he has in previous years.  If your porch is hot due to late afternoon sun from the west beating in, then I highly recommend doing this to your porch.  Get your husband to help you!  LOL

 We celebrated Memorial Day in a quiet way.  Hung some red, white and blue buntings on the porch and stuck small flags in all of the planters on the porch.  It looked festive, but it was for our eyes only since Covid kept us from inviting friends.  BUT, my husband is a veteran, so it's his day and I make it special for him despite not having any guests. We grilled burgers and hot dogs and I made potato salad, which was plenty of summertime food for the two of us to enjoy.

(Buntings are from Plow and Hearth and they are superb quality)

Our wisteria on the trellis has bloomed, a sight that always takes my breath away, and I am already looking forward to seeing them again next year.
Next year.  Yes, we always have that to look forward to, don't we?

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments :

Post a Comment