Tuesday, June 5, 2018

I Knew You Were Coming.... So I Baked A Cake

We are religious in our own way.  Our religion is ACCEPTANCE.
We certainly don't and will not ever not bake a cake simply because someone is gay or has a gay spouse.
Love is Love
and it comes in many forms.

Our current Supreme Court is not a fair one. It has been over-powered by a President who does not believe in the same rights for everyone, and because of that he is working diligently, just waiting for any level headed judges to retire or die so that he can make the Court one that those who voted him into our White House, mostly people who have twisted the words in the Bible and cherry picked it to pieces, in order to live in a backwards 1950's kind of moral world.

I have vivid memories of that world when in 1963 my eldest brother passed away suddenly at the age of eleven.
Our family was devastated and it is a loss that my mother never recovered from. 
 Her burden could have been eased, even if only a minute, but her wishes to have a Methodist hymn that she had grown up with played in St. Paul's Lutheran Church in a small Iowa town, were dashed to the ground by a Pastor who never saw fit to give my mother the gift of 'love and empathy' at a time when she so needed it. 

I was only nine years old when my brother died, and I watched year after year for my mother to show signs of recovering from this loss.  She never truly did, something she and I discussed when I was in my early forties.
Trying to talk about the loss of my brother even 30 some years later still brought her to tears.

So my question is, why are Christians and many who purport to being Christians, so mean to their fellow humans who perhaps are different from them?
Why can't they put the issue of a song or hymn aside and just let a grieving mother have it played and sung at her son's funeral?
Why is it that so many of them lack the empathy gene?
And why can't they just bake a fucking cake for a wedding?
Just mix the ingredients, put it in the oven, and then frost it nicely.
Since when has it become so difficult for Christians to simply be nice to others?
They are heartless and would stab someone in the back with their cake frosting knife rather than do the humane thing and just bake the cake.
My mother never recovered, and by the time I was in my early teens she and I had both turned away from the church and all of the insane rules it holds so dear that do nothing more than hurt people.
She, nor I, ever forgave the pastor, and I hope that he was questioned about his action towards my family when he arrived at those pearly gates that he and all of his sheep believe in.

The simple act of baking a decorating a cake has now become an issue for them, 
and they see Donald Trump's Supreme Court's decision as a sign from their un-forgiving God, who Himself created gays,
as a win for them.
How twisted is that?

Oh, and here a a few photos of cakes we have baked in our home that we have shared with anyone who enters our atheist home. 
 We love. We share.  We bake.




{this image from Pier One, but I do own the bunny cake stand)











5 comments :

  1. Dang, wish I lived closer! We could eat cake often.... and pie.... and ice cream.... My religion is the same as yours, no haters welcome.
    I've been reading your blog since I happened upon it from another blog, can't remember which.
    We have something else in common. My youngest brother drowned at the age of 26. This was in 2000 and my mom never got over that one either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad to hear about the death of your brother, at eleven years . . . Diane . . .
    How very sad for you, at nine years . . . and lonely . . .
    And for your momma . . , her suffering and grief and for you and your family . . .

    I can’t answer why there are “some” with no empathy . . .
    In my world . . . it isn't supposed to be that way.

    Gorgeous cakes . . . I will take them all!
    You have a talent . . ,

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to read about your brother’s death and your mother’s grief which could have been eased a but by a more understanding minister. It is indeed sad that empathy is so lacking in favor of individual rights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't answer your questions, but I can commiserate. I'm just so, well, disgusted with what's happening in our country. :( Cake sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete